Combining separate Households into one Household is necessary when people get married, as well as when individual members of a Household are added separately (e.g., if the family members didn't indicate a relationship upon initial entry). Through this process, Donation records remain with the Donor they are assigned to.
To combine separate Households:
- On the Contacts page, open the Contact record of the person to move Households (e.g., the wife's Contact record).
- Click Edit.
- Click the Pick-list button by the Household field.
- Search for and choose the desired Household record (e.g., the husband's Household record).
- Save the Contact record. The individuals who were once separate are now in the same Household.
- Repeat steps 1-6 for any additional family members who need to be added to the main Household.
- Complete any final data cleanup; for example:
- Launch the Add/Edit Family Tool to update the marital status of the Heads of Household.
- Add a "Married To" Relationship on one of the Head's records (which automatically adds the reciprocal relationship to the other Head).
- If all the members were moved from a Household, the empty Household can be deleted.
Combining Duplicate Households
If you have duplicate Households, you can combine them using the Compare & Combine Households Report:
- Go to the Households page
- Select two duplicate Households
- Reports > Compare & Combine Selected Households report.
- Complete the Report Parameters
- Click View Report
Keep in mind the following when using the Compare & Combine Selected Households report:
- Only two Households can be selected and combined at a time.
- All Care Log entries from both household records are preserved and moved under the Household record you keep.
- Records merged through this report will not create Audit Log entries.
- Once the records are combined, the information not retained during the merge is not visible.
Finding Parents of a Child in their own Household
A report can help you find parents of a child who is in a Household separate from their parents. Go to Households > select the desired Household > Reports > Selected Household Matches > follow the report's instructions.