The Background Check integration requires setup by Think Ministry Support. See the steps below to ensure the appropriate details are provided to Support.
Managing Background Checks
To manage Background Checks, see: Background Checks
There is no cost to set up this integration.
There is no cost from Think Ministry to use the Background Check Request Tool; it is included as part of your MinistryPlatform package.
Fees from Protect My Ministry (PMM) will be assessed as per each church's individual contract agreement.
Step 1: Integration Sign-Up
To use MinistryPlatform to submit Background Checks to PMM, you must complete this step even if you already use PMM.
- Fill out the Integration Sign Up Form. (You will need to insert your MP domain into the link provided and give a username and password (that you come up with) for PMM to use to create your new PMM user account. The link will NOT be functional until the integration is complete.)
- Choose the packages you want to be configured. The complete list is below. No other packages are supported by the integration. Options detailed on the Protect My Ministry site
Step 1b: Adjudication (Optional)
Work with PMM to setup adjudication:
- Adjudication is church-specific criteria for automatically marking a Background Check clear.
- Adjudication is global for the church and would apply to all Background Checks submitted.
- If adjudication is configured with PMM:
- if the background check record is returned:
- Clear - the Background Check record in the Platform will be marked All Clear = True.
- Need More Info / Not Clear - the Background Check record in the Platform will be marked All Clear = Undefined to allow for human review and assessment.
- Submit a ticket to email@example.com requesting to have risk assessment added to your account and mention that you use Ministry Platform terms accept/reject.
Step 2: Platform Preparation
You will receive an API username and password (This is different than the PMM user account you created in the Sign-Up form).
We have you create this record so that the username and password are kept secure. It will be deleted when our part is complete.
- Navigate to Administration > API Clients page.
- Click on "Create New", and add a record for PMM.
- Enter the username you received from PMM into the Client ID field.
- Enter the password into the Client Secret field.
Be sure to not leave any extra spaces or a return after entering the username/password because it will give an error on the portal page.
Step 3: Integration Setup
- Send a ticket to Support (or respond if a ticket is already open) with:
- A link to the API Client record
- A list of packages from the approved options below (We will only setup packages that are listed below. Please use exact package names).
- Pause. You will not be able to continue to Step 4 until we set up your integration. This is done by Think Ministry and you will be notified when it is completed.
Step 4: Review and Testing
Review the Initial Setup sections of these components of the integration and customize as needed:
Step 5: Test Submission
Create a test submission to ensure the integration is working as currently configured:
- Select a Contact (for testing purposes, it is best to use a real person, such as yourself)
- Launch the Background Check tool
- Create a Background Check
- Use the Fill Out Form button to view the form
- Complete and submit the form
- You should receive an acknowledgment on the form page that you have submitted it successfully
If any steps fail, contact support.
This is the complete list of supported packages. No other packages are supported by this integration. All packages that do county-level searches, with the exception of One County Auto, require the BING Maps API Key to be configured on your system.
We highly recommend PMM's One County Auto w Smart Search package
Note: If you need a package with a County specific background check, be sure to configured your BING API.
See Initial Setup for Map My Selection Tool.
- Auto 7-Year + Fed
- Auto 7-Year + Fed MVR
- Basic w/ Credit
- Basic w/ Drug
- Basic w/ MVR
- One County Auto
- One County Auto w/ Smart Search
- One County Auto SmartName + Credit
- Plus w/ County
- Plus w/ County and Credit
- Plus w/ County and MVR
- Plus w/ State
- Plus w/ State and 10 Panel Drug
- Plus w/ State and Credit
- Plus w/ State and MVR
If you have an existing
integration and want to…
> Add or change packages, reach out to PMM and then Support.
> Take advantage of the new download/attach feature
for future checks, reach out to Support. (Retroactive download/attach is also available upon request).